Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Heritage Classic is Here!

The day has finally arrived; Christmas in February for Flames fans. Today is the day of the Heritage Classic. The opportunity to watch the Flames play outdoors, at McMahon Stadium is a once in a lifetime event.

But really what’s so special about watching this Flames game? Yes, it’s outdoors, but that only means it’ll be much colder than the climate-controlled confines of the Saddledome. The stadium itself isn’t anything special. First off, I’ve seen many a Stamps game there; secondly, McMahon is kind of a dump. The opponent isn’t especially riveting. Sure, the Flames played them in the Cup finals twice, but that was over twenty years ago. Today, the Habs are simply a team we rarely see, save a home and home each year. There aren’t any head to head battles for a playoff spot, and let’s be honest, the game would be more exciting if it were between the Flames and Canucks or Oilers. Then why the hell am I so excited to see this game!?

To be perfectly honest, I’m not really sure. I might just be looking forward to almost every aspect of today. I can’t wait to arrive at the stadium several hours before puck drop to see the hoopla and spectacle that the NHL has created in an effort to separate me from my money. I can’t wait to tailgate in -15C weather, sharing beers with perfect strangers. I can’t wait to see what McMahon stadium looks like with an ice rink. Sure, I’ve seen the photos and the webcam, but seeing it live is totally different. I can’t wait to see the Flames play a game in their ‘new’ uniforms. And perhaps most important to me, I can’t wait to see the Flames play in another venue.

It isn’t one of the league’s 30 home arenas, but McMahon Stadium will be the 18th different venue I’ve seen the hometown heroes play in, and of course I’m always happy to add to my total. Of course, unlike the other arenas, the Flames won’t be returning to this one anytime soon. This truly is a once in a lifetime event. For the next few decades, when people talk about the outdoor game at McMahon, I’ll always be able to say, “I was at that game…”


Don’t forget to dress warm, pack your flask, and cheer loudly, it should be a helluva hockey game!


-TheRev


twitter.com/TheRevBW
thesportsroundup@gmail.com
Agree? Disagree? We want to hear from you! Click below to comment

No comments: