Monday, June 13, 2011

Why I Don't Like the Canucks

Sitting amongst a sea of blue and green at a local bar (By the way Melrose, you should be ashamed to call yourself the home of the red mile) I couldn’t help but stand up and cheer every single time Boston lit the lamp.

I received my fair share of evil, stink, and crook eyes but I truly could care less. I found one local “Bruins fan” to high five and that was plenty to satisfy my need. I was smiling ear to ear.

I’m not a Bruins fan per say. I’m just a Flames fan who would rather see anybody but Vancouver win the cup. It’s pretty simple actually.

This year’s playoff hockey has been outstanding for the most part. The first round itself comes to mind. The overtimes, the drama, the excitement – it was all just fine and dandy from a genuine hockey fans perspective.

But, I have had no greater pleasure throughout this entire post-season than I have had cheering against the Vancouver Canucks. I just hate them that much.

And now we get the joy of witnessing a Stanley Cup Final Game 7. Does it get any better?



Well, the answer would be yes and that’s if the Flames were in the final, but we know that’s not going to happen anytime soon. I digress.

I don’t know what it is exactly about the Canucks that I hate so much. Maybe it’s the whiney fans, maybe it’s the pansies that play for that team that constantly dive (I’m looking right at you Lapierre, Burrows, the Sisters, and throw in Kesler), or maybe it’s the simple fact that they are Calgary’s arch nemesis.

1989. The Flames beat the Canucks in a gruelling seven game series when a puck goes in off Joel Otto’s skate while charging to the net.

Go back to 1994 when Pavel Bure took a two-line pass (yeah I said it) and scored the winning goal in triple overtime in game 7.

2004. The Flames come back from 4-0 down in game 6 to send it to overtime only to have Brendan Morrison score in triple overtime to send it to a game 7.

In game 7, the Flames let in a goal with less than 10 seconds left to send it to overtime. Then, Martin Gelinas ends it sending Flames fans into the streets and sending Canuck fans...well, into the streets as well.

That’s how a rivalry is formed. That’s how true hatred is formed.

If the Emperor was looking for a way to bring Luke Skywalker’s hatred out and turn him to the dark side, he had bad luck that Luke wasn’t a Flames fan because all you would have to do was show footage of 94’ or any game in which the Canucks beat Calgary – which would be five times season—and Luke would be knocking out Jedi left right and center.

Someone asked me why I’m cheering for the Bruins? I simply said, because I’m a Flames fan and I would rather eat hot garbage than watch Henrik Sedin hoist the cup over his head.

I can’t cheer for them. I’ve never tried and I never will. It would feel like I was cheating on a really hot girl that constantly disappointed me but never failed to keep me guessing, and therefore always has my heart.

The Canucks are a great team, don’t get me wrong, but it doesn’t mean I have to like them.

So now it’s Game 7.

Bruins.

Canucks.

For all the marbles and possibly years saved of hearing Canucks fans brag about 2011 and how they won it all.

I really can’t say it enough.

ABV and GBG.

Rant over.

Newman
Jersey Fouls!
twitter.com/TSRNewman 
thesportsroundup@gmail.com
Agree? Disagree? We want to hear from you! Click below to comment

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude you nailed it 100%!
Go B's!!!
PS Luuuuuuu ssssseerrrr

Anonymous said...

Thank God someone else feels the EXACT same way I do. Here's hoping for one hell of a game 7 and for Tim Thomas to prove one more time that he is the better man!

PS>Should be an interesting off season for the Flames eh?

Flames Fan said...

Exactly right!!!!!! Who freaking cares that Vancouver has an Nhl team? Canada's team? only geographically. I look forward to hearing the sound of all those ankles cracking when everyone jumps off the bandwagon. Pretty arrogant team for having only won the presidents trophy. The gingers and Roberta Luongo need some of those slashes and cross checks

Anonymous said...

I agree with this article and all 3 posters. I hate the Canucks, they are not my team and I hope the most of Canada feels this way. These guys are some of the most arrogant group of players I ever met. And except for a few none have done anything to warrant the cockiness. Especially that over-rated bum Luongo.

The Newfie said...

My man, ur dead on with that. And what keeps pissing me off more than anything is everybody saying how great Luongo is, that man is the most overrated player in the history of sports. At best, he's a good goalie but not even close to the elite of the league. They say he won Canada the gold in the Olympics, what a crock! If anyone watched that i recall him giving away the puck whick led to the U.S. scoring and sending it to OT. If it wasn't for out boy Iggy setting up Crosby, we wouldn't have a gold. And just look at how weak he is mentally, you could see it in the Chicago series and again when he plays in Boston. The only reason they are where they are is because i hate to admit but they have a great team, but he ain't a great goalie. Sorry, i had to get that off my chest. Ur the man buddy, nice to see other's feel the same as me :)

Newman said...

I'm glad I'm not alone on this. Go Bruins Go!

Anonymous said...

I have never seen such pathetic reasons for cheering for Boston. They are the ugliest/dirtiest hockey team to ever play the game. Cheap dirty players. A coach that cry's eveytime the officials make a call against them. A League of officials that turns a blind eye to everything they do on the ice. A total discrace to the game.
Bruins Suck! I hope you Choke in game seven. You losers.

Jtommyt said...

"They are the ugliest/dirtiest hockey team to ever play the game. Cheap dirty players. A coach that cry's eveytime the officials make a call against them. A League of officials that turns a blind eye to everything they do on the ice. A total discrace to the game.
" Hrm??? This is almost word for word how I would describe the canucks, only with heavier emphasis on diving and general pussiness...

Anonymous said...

All i see here are bitter Calgary Flamea fans. "I will never cheer for vancouver. I would rather go for a dirty/filthy team like Boston." Really makes alot of sense. I guess numerous punches to the head and vulnerable hits from behind /crosschecking into the boards is better than diving and general pussiness. Again, Really makes alot of sense. Nucks in Seven. I hope Cam Neely has a friggin Stroke in the pressbox.

Newman said...

Did you even read the article? I dont like the Canucks because they are Calgary's arch rival. It's not that I'm a die hard Bruins fan, its just I hate Vancouver that much more. It's pretty simple. I would expect nothing less from Canucks fans if Calgary was in the same position. This isnt a country league, it's a city league and Calgary is my city, just like Vancouver is yours.

jared said...

You can't really defend both teams in any way. Both teams are dirty. All teams are dirty. It's hockey. I defend his right to not cheer for the Canucks because he doesn't have to. That's all there really is to it.

Anonymous said...

Nice post, as a Leaf fan, I know they wouldn't be cheering for us. I've never subscribed to the whole "Canada's Team" bit, I save that for the Olympics. Plus, that would absolutely kill me to see Lapierre hoist the cup - there is something completely wrong with that picture.
Also, someone should tell the Sedins that diving is for soccer players.
Can't wait for tonight, I believe the game starts at 10 past Luongo...

Anonymous said...

Being from the East you've got Ryder (underrated BTW) from NF, Marchand From NS, and McQuaid from PEI. Plus Timmy Thomas and his journey to where he is today is truly amazing.
Yes it has been a dirty series by BOTH teams - but I think the Canucks can blame themselves for all the "non calls" against them. The Refs are human and they don't appreciate being made a mockery of by all the dives that have come from Burrows, Lapierre and the Twins.
It's a tough trophy to win and good luck to both, but I gotta say hope the B's come out on top...