Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Beer and Hockey

Well hockey has returned to the Saddledome with last night’s pre-season tilt between the Calgary Flames and Vancouver Canucks.  What can I really say about the game?  While brochures handed out at the entrance proclaim that ‘every game matters’ we all know that may be true, with the exception of the pre-season games, which don’t matter at all.

The fact that these games don’t matter is quite apparent too, as there is an obvious lack of intensity from players, coaches, media and fans.  It just isn’t the same.  Having said that, I always enjoy going to the first pre-season game, as it’s a chance to get back into the Dome, and get back into the swing of watching the Flames play on a regular basis.

I can’t really comment much on the game last night.  Some will say there are players ‘fighting for jobs,’ but really, are there?  There are maybe two players, maybe, that have a chance of ‘cracking the lineup.’  This team is pretty much set.  And I definitely couldn’t comment on the Canucks, who were fielding a team that wouldn’t even hold water in the AHL.  I mean, they had Anders Eriksson in their line up.  Anders Eriksson!  I guess Andrei Zyuzin was busy.  As with any pre-season game, I didn’t head into this one with any kind of expectation of seeing some great hockey.  But that doesn’t mean I wasn’t disappointed.

Earlier this month, or maybe it was in August, there was a new partnership announced between the Flames and Budweiser.  Waking up early that day to watch the press conference live (okay, I watched it on-line a week later), I listened with excitement as things like the first ‘beeriod’ were announced, as a chance to elevate the fan experience.  And most importantly, it was announced there would be bottom pour technology at the Dome (this was on the tarmac during Stampede if you aren’t familiar).
I didn’t see the first beeriod last night.  And while I did see one bottom pour station on the main concourse, I expected to see them everywhere.  Disappointment isn’t a big enough word for what I felt last night.

Now maybe it was only a pre-season game, and the technology will be installed everywhere by the home opener, and maybe the first beeriod will be ready to go.  It better, or there I will have been let down, by beer.  Something I never thought would ever  happen.



-TheRev


Jersey Fouls!
twitter.com/TheRevBW
thesportsroundup@gmail.com
Agree? Disagree? We want to hear from you! Click below to comment

2 comments:

Newman said...

Look at how much easier the beer wench's job has become? Wow. All for the very low price of an arm and a leg! I cant wait

Hove said...

They are truly beer magicians! Beerlocks maybe?
I assume that since this new method is so efficient, they can fire 2/3 of the staff, and prices will drop? No? hm.