Saturday, November 26, 2011

Let's be honest: The Calgary Flames Suck


By Derrick Newman

Definition of Struggling: Strive to achieve or attain something in the face of difficulty or resistance.

In a nutshell, this defines the Calgary Flames, period.

With six losses in their last eight games, the Flames are quickly falling out of the race for a playoff spot and rapidly increasing their chances of winning the draft lottery.

Now some might say, “Just look at last year and what the Flames managed to do after they fired Darryl. It can happen again.”

So what is it this time that’s going to spark this band of low scoring misfits to do a complete 180 and get the ship pointed in the right direction?




Is it time for Brent Sutter to meet his maker?

After two-and-a-half years being at the helm of the Flames bench, Sutter has managed ZERO playoff appearances, and, besides last years post Christmas win streak, he has produced little to no hope within the fan base that his SYSTEM is actually going to catch on and work.

His recent candid press conference speaks to the fact that he may be running out of answers, and that maybe the players have simply started tuning him out.

But is that really going to solve the issue?

The truth of the matter is, the Flames are re-building, and it could be while before things in Flame land return to greatness…or even goodness.

The perennial "Trade Iggy" or "Trade Kipper" debates will pop up undoubtedly. With the growing string of losses, it might not be so far off before one of the cornerstones of this team is shipped elsewhere for what's hoped to be building blocks for a better future.

The team has scored all of four goals in the first three games of their current four game road trip. They are only two points clear of last place Columbus — a team that they lost to on Monday.

Their powerplay is horrifying, especially at home where they are dead last and have only scored twice in 42 attempts. What’s interesting is that they rank third in the league on the road in the same category.

Explain that to me please.

Are they nervous playing in front of their OWN fans? Are their moustaches weighing them down? It’s become a city joke that a Flames power play is a good way to kill two minutes off the clock — and nothing else.

They rank 27th in league scoring, averaging 2.21 goals per game. 

It’s frustrating, but I'll say predictable given the skill level iced every night.

The Flames are not that good. They have an all-star goaltender, and a hall of fame power forward, who currently is in a serious funk.

A few other bright spots, including Giordano, Horak, the recent play of Brodie, and throw in occasional spurts from Tanguay, Jokinen, and Glencross, but for the most part watching this team play hockey is equivalent to nails on a chalkboard.

It’s the same game over and over again. Flames get a lot of chances. Get stoned by the opposing goaltender (usually one that seems to play over his head). Get scored on. Try to comeback. Fall just short and complain about not playing a full 60-minute game and say they have to be better.

We’ve heard it too many times to count.

It’s not fun being a fan of this team. It sucks. 

This, however, has not swayed my allegiance.

Until the day I die, I will bleed Flames red.

I just don't want to bleed to death too soon...  


Check out TSR's JERSEY FOULS!!!! 

twitter.com/TSRNewman
thesportsroundup@gmail.com
Agree? Disagree? We want to hear from you! Click below to comment

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it they suck so true

Justin Syder said...

It has been difficult to watch the Flames lately. My early memories of the team include Ed Whalen and epic battles in the 80's. The game details get blurry but what perhaps I remember most is passion I felt watching the games. I remember crying after a regular season loss and going to bed angry. And the elation felt after beating the Oilers was similar to a playoff win.

I do admit I am an old fucker these days and my range of emotions, like a sheep sheared over and over for her wool, has become numb to the process.

No longer do I feel devasted by a loss and on the same note when the team wins I no longer float on air till next puck drop. I miss those feelings and ring a dong dandies for that matter.

This year I am asking Santa for what might be a double edged sword........passion for the Flames.

Some of the Flames might want to as well.

Bruce Wayne said...

Justin, you hit the nail on the head. Every game I look forward to during the day, and then when its finally on and I realize it's the same boring shit product I quickly lose interest and find myself surfing the net or debating whether or not I should play some Call of Duty instead. If they happen to win I feel it's more of a fluke, if they lose it's..well we're all used to it by now. The thing I don't get is why they continue to ice the same boring crap every game. It looked as though they were going younger by bringing up a handful of the kids and for the few minutes they were on the ice per game, we all had a little excitement to watch. But the rest of the game...I mean c'mon this is the worst hockey I've ever watched in my life! Sutter can preach his defensive play till his gigantic ears fall off but I'm sorry, this is a terrible product to be peddling to your fans. Sutter needs to go, if not for the players tuning him out, then for the fans who pay money to go and watch these games. If we're going to lose, at least play a style that is encouraging to the fans and probably the players too. I have a pile of tickets I bought before the season started from a friend who has season tix...I'm honestly considering unloading a lot of them...that is, if anyone will buy them?

Greger Buer said...

In 21 games this season, I would say the Flames have put forward 2 efforts where they completely deserved to win:
- October 13 in Montreal (4-1 Win)
- November 3 in Detroit (4-1 Win)
Even the W against Chicago was all about staying in it, because Kipper stood on his head early and later on. Two complete effort-wins in 21 games... that ain't good enough to stay out of the cellar. 4-8-0 in November?! I'm never going to stop watching every single game, but their lack of effort and enthusiasm, particularly at home, is becoming really embarrassing.

Newman said...

Im glad I'm not alone. It's become almost unwatchable.
The question is, where and when does it bottom out?
I fear that we havent even seen the worst yet, which scares me.

Portland Drupal Developer said...

They looked like the 1988 Flames when they played the Blackhawks in Calgary.

Haucks said...

I know you're a fan that's venting, so i'll join in. It's gone from frustration, to anger, and then to disinterest (which is the worst). I am a season ticket holder for 10 years now, and this is the hardest to GIVE away tix since the 04 run. I would rather watch brodie, smith, byron, horak lose while playing with emotion and building something, than bourque, sarich, stajan, and even iggy,moss,glencross etc go out and look like it's just a job while we watch their value drop.
I feel like it's a mismanagement of assets. If i got too personal with my investments, i'd be broke.
I did find myself tuning in the other night (did manage to give tix away to a kids charity) but only really paid attention when comeau,horak,brodie etc were on the ice.
We've been ready for the next Flames team for 2 years now. Unfortunately, management is too tied up in the romance that was.
Thoughts?

Anonymous said...

The problem is that no one in management cares! As long as they sell seats they don't care. No one skates or puts out any effort. They have a poor fore-check. An almost non-existant back-check, they can't win face-offs, they don't hit, they can't shoot the puck, they telegraph their shots they do get off; most end up deflected, tipped or blocked completely. trade the whole team, coaching staff, management and owners as well!

Anonymous said...

These guys all deserve to go. Start with Peter Griffin (1) King and Peter Griffin (2) Feaster. Iggy is a Princess and makes sure nobody plays too hard because that makes him look bad. Blow it up today and start with some talent at all levels.